Thursday, September 26, 2013

Slipping Away

The 2013 trout season is about to end. September is my favorite time to be out on a cold trout stream and I have not been able to get out even once this month. The new job makes my schedule difficult to plan time away and I am away from home a lot, which makes going off and fishing a difficult choice. I am holding on to some hope that I can get one more trip before months end. 

I did take my tenkara rod and bike to the nearby Credit River where I knew there might be some creek chubs. It's not trout but they are fun to catch. I caught a couple nice sized ones with a black sekasa kebari. 

Nice size chub!

I am still hoping to get out one more time to chase trout. The biggest issues are time off and I need a ride, someone to go with. We are having some vehicle issues and I can't make the drive. Anyone want to go?  No experience necessary! Contact me here or twitter @stevenpking. Seriously! 

2 comments:

  1. Since they are fun to catch, what difference does it make that they are not trout?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am by no means a total trout snob. I will take any excuse I can find to pull out the tenkara rod and catch something. I love catching a mess of panfish from the nearby pond. But there is something special about catching trout for me. When I was a kid my dad loved to fish for walleye. When we took out the boat and went fishing it was for walleye. He would occasionally go after some panfish. I never really knew him to fish for bass. He loved fishing for walleye. I don't know why. A few years ago when I caught my first trout from a cold stream in SE Minnesota something clicked, and when I discovered tenkara it really became a particular obsession for me. I'm not exactly sure why, but I really, really enjoy spending time on a clear, cold trout stream. I love the trout themselves. I think they are a beautiful fish and I get to fish for them in beautiful places. Did I enjoy catching the chubs? Absolutely! Would I have rather been fishing for trout? Yeah. But no matter what my first preference is to just be out somewhere with my tenkara rod in my hand chasing after something and enjoying the outdoors.

      Delete